Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fifty Shades of Lemmings



In spite of all the negative reviews that I've heard within the kink community about the book, Fifty Shades of Grey, I had an interest in reading the book so I picked up a copy.  I must say that I've had a pet peeve for a long time about people not knowing something first-hand for themselves, and forming their opinions on word-of-mouth, or even worse... simply based upon others' opinions who don't know first hand either.  My peeve started some time ago, before I came into the kink community and was heavily involved in church.  A good example was when Harry Potter first came out, the church I was attending at the time was against it, said it was bad for children, of the devil, etc.  But had any of them actually read one of the books or watched the movie?  Most hadn't.  They were simply going by what they'd heard.  How many of us know that as stuff gets passed down the grapevine, it gets unintentionally skewed?

This reminds me of lemmings.  They are those small animals that live mostly in the Arctic, who are commonly used as a metaphor when referencing people who unquestioningly go along with popular opinion.  I was aware of this, but what I did not know until I read up a little about them, is that the supposed mass suicide that they commit when they migrate is actually a misconception.  A misconception that is passed on and on, and people sometimes don't bother to question the validity.  I am one of those who used the comparison without knowing that it actually wasn't true of the lemmings.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming 

What I seem to notice is that some of those who are the most vocal about their dislike for the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy haven't even read the book(s) for themselves.  If they haven't read one of the books, then how do they know?  When we get information from some other source, it is often tainted with that person's own filter of perception and judgement.  What weight can a non-reader's critique of a book hold?  None in my opinion.  It simply makes that person lose some credibility.  Why not simply say that you've heard negative things about the book and therefore aren't interested in it and don't wish to read it, and leave it at that.

Getting off my little soapbox now.  I finished the book last night, so stay tuned for my review of the Fifty Shades of Grey!


2 comments:

  1. Very valid. I read the Lemming entry and found that fascinating.

    I admit I haven't read the books either but have heard from several people in the community what they didn't like about it and up until now decided against reading them. However, several ladies who I consider to be dear friends HAVE read them all and LOVED them. So maybe I owe it to myself to read the first one at least and judge it myself.

    Either way, you present a very strong argument for which I can certainly agree with. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Why not simply say that you've heard negative things about the book and therefore aren't interested in it and don't wish to read it, and leave it at that."

    This is where I stand on the books. I haven't written any posts about them because I haven't read them and don't intend to. I also have heard a lot of negative reviews though.

    ReplyDelete