The primary suggestion that I have that works for me is: When I need to talk, just listen. I'm not expecting you to have the right things to say, nor am I expecting (or wanting) advice.
Good things to say:
- I know you have a real illness and that's what causes these thoughts & feelings.
- I may not be able to understand exactly how you feel but I care and want to help.
- What can I do to help?
- You are not alone in this - I am here for you.
- Talk to me - I'm listening.
Things to avoid saying that will make the situation worse:
- You have so much to live for, why would you want to die.
- Suicide is a selfish decision.
- Here's my advice...
- It's all in your head.
- We all go through times like this.
- Just snap out of it - Look on the bright side.
Alot of the above is taken from www.dbsalliance.org